Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Time Warp

So I'm in the grocery store the other evening, going through the self-serve checkout, when the irritatingly smooth artificial voice informs me that I've purchased an "age-restricted item." Quick study that I am, I came to the realization that it wasn't likely either of the two candy bars I was purchasing. That left the cough syrup that had occasioned my trip--though it had no alcohol or decongestant in it.

According to the voice, "an associate" was on the way to assist me in completing my purchase, and, sure enough, up walks a young lady barely more than 1/3 my age. (I started to say "half my age," but then I did the math. Math can hurt.) I asked her if I was being carded for cough syrup, and she said I was, but she, sadly, didn't have to look at my driver's license (or any other card) to recognize that I was more than old enough to buy it. She quickly swiped her employee ID and punched-in a few numbers. Then she was on her way and I on mine.

Is it just me, or does it strike anyone else as odd that a teenaged store clerk had to approve this cool, but middle-aged, pastor's purchase of a simple cough syrup? Maybe I'll eventually be able to prove myself as responsible as that clerk...

No comments: